Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Old English Tarot: 4 of Cups

In today's blog entry, Helen Howell continues her exploration of cards from the Old English Tarot by Maggie Kneen (U.S. Games Systems, Inc.)

Old English Tarot
Four of Cups
by Helen Howell

Old English Tarot

I have to say that if I didn’t know the traditional meaning from the Rider Waite deck for the 4 of Cups I would be totally stumped with the image shown on the Old English Card. All we have are four cups and beneath them a figure playing two flutes.

Rider Tarot
The LWB tells us that the meanings attributed to this card are: Weariness, disappointment, a bitter experience (Reversed: Fresh possibilities, new relationships.) Well, I guess if we look at the figure having to play two flutes at one time, we could assume that he would become weary of this and maybe disappointed that the other flute player didn’t turn up!

Its more traditional brother, the Rider Waite, gives us more to get our teeth into and we see a figure sitting under a tree, arms crossed and eyes looking downwards. In front of him are three cups and a fourth is being offered as a gift, but alas he sees none of these things. Yes, our figure is bored with life and discontent with his lot so that he misses the opportunity of what is available to him.

Now, I supposed our flute player could also get bored having to play those two flutes all by himself; however, as I said, if I didn’t know the basic meaning of the Rider Waite card I would certainly have had trouble trying to decide what the Old English card was representing.

You’ll have to make your own minds up about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna