Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Monday, May 13, 2019

Twelve Houses of the Zodiac Reading: Part 1

The Twelve Houses of the Zodiac Tarot Spread

Excerpted from
Tarot Awareness: Exploring the Spiritual Path
by Stephen Walter Sterling
(Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.)


I recently came across the Twelve Houses of the Zodiac Spread by Stephen Walter Sterling on line, and I loved the way each house/sign was described in the positional definitions. This spread forms a pattern resembling the astrological birth chart, beginning with Aries and ending with Pisces.


For the purposes of this blog, I am going to do the spread in four “installments.” Part 1 will include Houses 1-4. I am using Tarot of the Spirit by Pamela and Joyce Eakins (U.S. Games Systems, Inc.)


(1) The House of Aspirations, Aries (Fire): Attitude toward reaching a goal, what you intend to accomplish, and the level of your enthusiasm. 

FIRE BROTHER: Sun Warrior (Cancer-Leo) / Traditional Name: Knight of Wands
Certainly apropos for this First House (Aries) position, Fire Brother exhibits strength, swiftness, brilliance, and agility. Clever and spontaneous, he can also be irrational and impulsive. With my Sun in the Fire sign Sagittarius, I relate well to this energy as I enthusiastically pursue my goals. I need to guard against impulsive behavior based on sudden bursts of optimism and enthusiasm.

(2) The House of Security, Taurus (Earth): Attitude toward material gain. Are you at peace with your resources?

FIVE OF WATER: Spilling (Mars in Scorpio) / Traditional Name: 5 of Cups
Known as a card of disappointment, regret, and frustration, the Five of Water often admonishes us not to “cry over spilt milk.” If we focus on what we have lost or perhaps never had (three spilled, empty cups), we cannot see that there are still avenues and opportunities and resources available to us. A deeper level of understanding is needed so that we can see above and beyond our disappointments, perceived failures, and deficits.

It is interesting to note that the planet Mars is the traditional ruler of the sign Scorpio. Scorpio and its modern ruling planet, Pluto, both represent death and decay (8th house).This tells us that even when expectations are not met, there is still strength available and an opportunity to “power through” and rise above.

(3) The House of Thought, Gemini (Air): How well you communicate your ideas, your needs, and your creative self. Learning and speaking abilities.

TWO OF WIND: The Crossing (Moon in Libra) / Traditional Name: 2 of Swords
Here we have a second instance of “matching elemental attributions,” with the positional definition being Gemini (an Air sign) and the card representing Libra (another Air sign). Libra represents a desire for peace and harmony as well as indecision. The Moon represents emotions and the subconscious.

Although my Sun sign, Sagittarius, is known for being brutally frank, the appearance of this card in the house of communication suggests that deep down, I have a strong desire for my communication and expressions of creativity to be peaceful and harmonious – in other words, I really would rather not ruffle feathers, offend, or start arguments. At times, this can make it hard for me to make a choice or decision, since I want everything to remain harmonious.

(4) The House of Emotion, Cancer (Water): The nature of your home environment. What are the areas of your life that need nurturing? Do you have a reasonable understanding of your feelings? (Water)

THE UNIVERSE (Saturn) / Traditional Name: The World
As the final card of the Major Arcana, The Universe typically represents closing a circle, completing a lesson or a journey. With The Universe card, we have finished what we started; we have seen our purpose through to the end.

In my birth chart, the 4th House is where the Sun resides, an indication that my “home” plays a significant role in who and what I am as an individual. Another interesting connection with my birth chart is the fact that in that chart, Saturn is in my First House (House of Self).

The planet Saturn, sometimes called the planet of “lessons and limitations,” is known as a stern taskmaster who constantly turns our attention to reality, duties, and obligations. Position 4 in this spread mentions home environment, nurturing, and understanding one’s feelings. These are things I may not think I need to take responsibility for, but Saturn holds a different view.

In some ways, I have come full circle. As a child growing up, I was fortunate to have a stable home life. I wanted for nothing, and I had a lot of time to pursue creative activities such as writing and music. Then came marriage, motherhood, and a long period when I worked in an office setting 8 hours a day, doing work that was not very fulfilling. Now, I am again in a stable, pleasant home environment, free to express my creativity and imagination in satisfying “work.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna