Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Queen and the Sow


Two of my favorite decks are The DruidCraft Tarot and the Druid Animal Oracle. From time to time, I am going to do a two-card reading with these two decks.

(Please Note: I am aware that the DruidCraft deck is not strictly a "Druid" deck. The word "Craft" in the title alerts us to the fact that this deck incorporates both Wicca and Druidry.)

For this reading, I simply asked the cards what I need to be aware of today.

The positional definitions are:

(1) Not only... (2) But also...

Ready? Here we go!

Not only... but also...


Not only...  QUEEN OF WANDS
Key Words: Dynamic, Confident, Strong-willed

With my Sun in Sagittarius, I often view this lady as my significator. All Queens in this deck symbolize "Creativity, Compassion, Awareness, Nurturing." The suit of Wands is the suit of Fire: "intuitive and dynamic."

But also... SOW
Key Words: Generosity, Nourishment, Discovery

Like all the Druid Animal Oracle cards, this one is rich in detail and symbolism. In addition to the sow and her piglets, we have fields of wheat and barley, the Hill of Tara (Pig Island), sow-thistle, and deadly nightshade (which pigs can supposedly eat without harm). In Druid lore, the pig represents the Goddess. Druids were referred to as "piglets." The Sow is linked with the element Earth and has the gifts of Fertility and Creativity.

My Interpretation:

These two cards complement each other very nicely. Both clearly depict "mothering" or "nuturing" qualities; both the Queen of Wands and the Sow can be strong-willed and "pig-headed" at times. I had to laugh at this part of the description of the Queen of Wands in the DruidCraft book: "If she or a friend is attacked, she can be ferocious in defence." I haven't actually seen a sow defending her piglets, but I suspect she can be quite formidable when doing so.

What I take away from these two cards is the importance of balancing strong willpower and ferocity with compassion and creativity. Before I leap into attack mode, I need to make sure I am actually being attacked, or that I actually need to defend someone or something. The Sow, with its strong Earth energy, can help balance the sometimes overly fierce reactions and responses exhibited by the Queen of Wands. The Queen's passion and confidence can be channeled in a productive, beneficial direction.

-------------------
Sources:

The DruidCraft Tarot (deck and book set). Text copyright 8 Philip and Stephanie Carr Gomm 2004. Illustrations copyright 8 Will Worthington 2004. This edition copyright 8 Eddison Sadd Editions 2004. ISBN 0 312 31502 3.

The Druid Animal Oracle by Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm. Card Illustrations by Bill Worthington. Fireside: Simon & Schuster, Inc. Text copyright 8 Philip and Stephanie Carr-Gomm 1994. Card illustrations copyright 8 Bill Worthington 1994. This edition copyright 8 Eddison Sadd Editions 1994. ISBN not known.

3 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! Clearly, great Tarotists think alike!! More than ten years ago, one of my best clients recommended asking the Divine Oracle the question, "What do I need to know right now?" For my clients, students, friends and me, it has always served me well. In addition, for the last few years I have used a Tarot Deck in conjunction with a Divination or Oracle Card Deck. It adds greater meaning and more depth to the interpretation. And based on the Cards you pulled, Cerridwen, the Welsh Goddess of Transformation--Whose Animal Familiar is the Sow--Is calling to you. By the way, did I mention how much I LOVE your blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Robert! I think you're right about Cerridwen. I also love the story of the sow Henwen, who gave birth to a wolf-cub, an eagle, a bee, a kitten, and a grain of wheat. I admire that kind of versatility!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and as I read your comment to my comment, I began to Sense that I need to work with Goddesses that have a connection to Shape-Shifting (Cerridwen, Freyja, Vila, etc.). As always, your Intuitive Insights give me much to ponder (and my clients and students shall benefit, as well).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna