Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Astrology and Tarot: A Demonstration


I have been asked to demonstrate or give an example of how I use astrological associations when interpreting a Tarot card. Let's go with a simple one-card reading to answer the question: "What do I need to be aware of today?" I'm using the Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot Deck.

Before I continue, I want to mention that I am not locked into the astrological associations that I currently use, which are basically the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn associations. If you are interested in astrological associations other than those suggested by the OGD, you may want to read the posts in my Astrology and Tarot series on this blog.

The NINE OF WANDS delivers my message for today.


One of the first things I look at is the elemental association. The suit of Wands is associated with the element Fire. My key words for the element Fire include passion, enthusiasm, confidence, action, will, courage, impulsiveness, and aggressiveness. So those words are in the back of my mind as I continue to interpret the card.

According to the system I currently use, the 9 of Wands is associated with the placement of the Moon in Sagittarius. Sagittarius is a Fire sign. The Moon typically represents emotions and the subconscious. So I'm going to incorporate that into my interpretation by noting that there is an emotional or subconscious component to this card, as well as the influence of Fire.

I also consider the possibilities from a numerological perspective. I view Nines as relating to endings, growth through experience, and transformation.

The man on the Nine of Wands looks tense and wary to me. He seems to expect an attack of some sort, and is keeping his guard up. The white cloth around his head could be a bandage, indicating that he has been injured or wounded. Perhaps he has already been attacked, and anticipates more of the same.

I have asked the cards what I need to be aware of today. In my experience, the cards usually bring to mind more questions than they answer, but that can be quite useful.

I look at the Nine of Wands and ask myself what I have in common with the man on the card? Am I expecting adversity today? Have I overlooked something that I need to be prepared for? Am I in danger of being blindsided by an attack or challenge I don't expect?

I might also ask myself if I am hurting emotionally from something (the Moon) and therefore wary of being hurt again? Am I feeling vulnerable (the Moon), or do I feel confident that I can handle whatever comes my way (Sagittarius)? Do I need to explore or identify subconscious fears and suspicions (the Moon) that may affect my self-confidence or optimism (Sagittarius)? How will today's experience help me grow, allowing me to end a current cycle and move forward (Nine)?

As the day unfolds, the precise meaning of this card may become clearer to me.





5 comments:

  1. I wonder as the astrological association for this card is as you say Moon in Sagittarius, whether the message for this day is perhaps hinting that you need to draw upon your own courage— be confident over some situation or project, even if doubts arise in order to know when to make the right move towards something or whether you should just stay put.
    I associate the numerological value of 9 in tarot to often represent struggles, self-evaluation in order to reach that final goal.

    Perhaps the struggle here is the doubts, that the moon aspect may bring into the equation and the fire aspect of the element and Sagittarius are the courage needed to see it through.

    Not that I know anything about astrology as you already know, but it was just a fleeting thought based on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Helen! That's a wonderful analysis. You incorporated the Moon/Sagittarius influences very nicely, as well as your interpretation of the Nine -- and you demonstrated how each of us personalizes our readings based on our own understanding of the cards, astrology, and numerology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the article and the comments are worth rereading. Very insightful and very informative. As always, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting and an added element to the Tarot. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Robert and Lynn! I enjoy combining two of my favorite subjects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna