Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Samhain Spirits Spread 2020

Samhain – [pronounced sah-win]

I enjoyed doing this spread for past Halloweens on Tarot Notes, so I’m giving it another go. To set the stage, I am quoting from The New Encyclopedia of the Occult by John Michael Greer (Llewellyn Worldwide):
“Samhain. The beginning and end of the year in the old Celtic calendar, falling around the beginning of November in modern terms. Samhain is the oldest documented festival of Celtic Paganism. . . Samhain was traditionally associated with the spirits of the dead, who were believed to walk the world at that time. After the arrival of Christianity, the feast of Samhain became All Hallow’s Day. The evening before it, the modern Halloween, retained much of the same symbolism.”
The positional definitions for this spread are inspired by the hauntingly beautiful song “All Soul’s Night” with words and music by Loreena McKennitt. You can listen to the song _HERE_.  You can read the lyrics of the song _HERE_.

This year, I am using the Ghost Tarot by Davide Corsi (Lo Scarabeo) The layout is in the shape of a pentacle.


I stand in darkness at the entrance to the graveyard on All Hallow’s Eve, on Samhain, when spirits walk the world…


(1) This Spirit dances around and around: THE HIEROPHANT / The Sustenance of Faith

Although I have trouble picturing the guy on this card “dancing around and around,” it’s not hard to imagine “faith” doing that. Faith is hard to pin down, hard to quantify or qualify. It is everywhere around us, yet we cannot see it as it dances through our lives. Different people have faith in different things, and in the Tarot, The Hierophant does often refer to traditional expressions of faith (for example, through organized religion). Yet my experience is not limited to that expression, and I see this card as an affirmation that some expressions of faith are not regimented or limited by the views of historical figures or even by human understanding in general. 


(2) This Spirit brings a hidden memory: KNIGHT OF COINS / The Spirit of the Defender

The Knight brings a hidden memory of patience, careful consideration, and steadiness but also a memory of a time when self-discipline was especially needed. Bringing such a memory into my conscious mind can help me with something I am involved in that is not going as smoothly or moving as quickly as I would like.


(3) This Spirit carries a light in the distance: THE EMPEROR / The Government of Experience

As an experienced leader and unquestioned authority, The Emperor carries a light to help me make my way forward through the days and months to come. I keep my eyes on him as he leads the way.

 


(4) This Spirit waits for me on the bridge: QUEEN OF COINS / The Spirit of the Mother

Waiting for me on the bridge is the Queen of Coins, who protects, nurtures, and nourishes all her children, including me. At the same time, I am asked to fulfill her role towards others or perhaps even myself.


(5) This Spirit passes by the bridge and me: FIVE OF CHALICES

It is fitting that the Five of Chalices passes by the bridge and me, as its meaning often points to the need to let things go, set them (and myself) free, and move on. I am encouraged to contemplate what things I need to abandon in order to start anew.

 

The dominant elemental energy in this collection of cards is Earth – representing the material, physical world. I may benefit from focusing my attention on matters such as finances, health, and work – on the aspects of my life that offer security, stability, and continuity. With The Hierophant dancing around and around, the Knight of Coins bringing a hidden memory, The Emperor carrying a light in the distance, the Queen of Coins waiting for me on the bridge, and the Five of Chalices passing by the bridge and me, I have much to consider and evaluate at this significant time of the year.

 

Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain to all!


2 comments:

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna