Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Old English Tarot: 7 of Swords

In today's blog entry, Helen Howell continues her exploration of cards from the Old English Tarot by Maggie Kneen (U.S. Games Systems, Inc.)

Old English Tarot
7 of Swords
by Helen Howell


What could be more fitting for the Old English 7 of Swords than a Knight fighting a Dragon! Unlike its traditional brother the Rider Waite, it doesn’t give us the impression of a sneak or deviousness in an outright way.

If you remember the Rider Waite shows us someone who has crept into the enemy camp unnoticed and is making off with their swords, which can symbolise for us subterfuge or not showing your hand in a situation to get what you want. Also, though, it speaks of strategy and that’s what the Old English appears to speak of to me, too.

In the Old English image is a Knight bravely (or stupidly, whichever applies) fighting a dragon at close quarters. That old dragon is puffing out fiery flames that look like they could burn that Knight. Our Knight is already pursuing a course of action which could also speak of tenacity, determination to see something through no matter what the risk. But I think for me, this card is also suggesting, that one should look at how we approach it.

As Swords are the element that connects us to clarity, intellect and thoughts, it may well be suggesting to us that perhaps we need to rethink our actions, form a new strategy, one that will ensure success. Now this is a number 7 in the tarot sequence. This, for me, has come to represent wisdom, insight, and gaining personal confidence and growth. It’s a number that urges us to reflect on a situation. From this will come growth and self-knowledge. The number coupled with the image on this card of the Knight fighting the dragon does give me the feeling that together they represent that one needs to realise that an aggressive approach may not necessarily be the best one.

I think the one thing that both the Rider Waite and the Old English do is draw our attention to the fact that one should consider the consequences of their proposed action before they take it.

The LWB says:
Perseverance, new plans, endeavours, fortitude, fantasy.
Reversed: Arguments, questionable advice.

2 comments:

  1. The odd numbers always make me uncomfortable. Even though I'm an Aries, I like balance even though Libra, the sign of the scales, is 180 degrees opposite my sign. This card is beautiful and I see a bow at the top of the swords. I tend to read the cards differently and see/interpret them from my own point of view. In this case, at this time, I am in a situation of LWB's "Reversed". But your last paragraph also comes into play for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we all see different things in the cards Susan that's what makes them so interesting. ^_^ Thanks for your thoughts of this card.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna