Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sherlock Holmes Card of the Day 1/24/15

I don’t plan on doing a Card of the Day (COTD) every day on Tarot Notes, but I thought that for a while, when I don’t have anything else longer that I want to post, I will share a card from one of my Christmas gifts: The Sherlock Holmes Tarot by John Matthews and Wil Kinghan (Sterling Ethos).

So for today, January 24, the Card of the Day is:

THE HIEROPHANT

The Sherlock Holmes Tarot (Sterling Ethos)

I am a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories by A. Conan Doyle, but in  this deck, The Hierophant is linked with The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, a novel written by American writer Nicholas Meyer in 1974. Published as a "lost manuscript" of the late Dr. John H. Watson, the novel focuses on Sherlock Holmes’ recovery from his addiction to cocaine. The title of the novel (and the card) is a reference to Holmes’ use of the drug in a seven-per-cent solution.

In the book accompanying The Sherlock Holmes Tarot, the creators of the deck write: “While we in no way condone the use of such stimulants, the effect of the drug upon Holmes is a perfect metaphor for the opening of the consciousness to deeper and inner levels offered by the Hierophant.”

As the Card of the Day, The Hierophant may be alerting me to an opportunity to use my insights to inspire others, to transform the mundane into the mystical, or to mentor someone who is young or inexperienced. I am cautioned to be careful that I don’t attach too much importance to myself, that I avoid getting bogged down in rigid procedures, and that I refrain from projecting my ideas onto others. I need to find a way to preserve and honor tradition or heritage without being a slave to them.

2 comments:

  1. I like it! Seeing Holmes stretched out there on his sofa, with his 7% solution, the card also reminds me that one must stir the mind to look beyond the obvious and see what lies outside the box so to speak - find the truth for oneself rather than believe what you are told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very true, Helen! Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna