Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Monday, October 31, 2022

Samhain Spirits Spread 2022

Samhain – [pronounced sah-win]

I enjoyed doing this spread for past Halloweens on Tarot Notes, so I’m giving it another go. To set the stage, I am quoting from The New Encyclopedia of the Occult by John Michael Greer (Llewellyn Worldwide):
“Samhain. The beginning and end of the year in the old Celtic calendar, falling around the beginning of November in modern terms. Samhain is the oldest documented festival of Celtic Paganism. . . Samhain was traditionally associated with the spirits of the dead, who were believed to walk the world at that time. After the arrival of Christianity, the feast of Samhain became All Hallow’s Day. The evening before it, the modern Halloween, retained much of the same symbolism.”
The positional definitions for this spread are inspired by the hauntingly beautiful song “All Soul’s Night” with words and music by Loreena McKennitt. You can listen to the song _HERE_.  You can read the lyrics of the song _HERE_.

This year, I am using the Ghosts & Spirits Tarot by Lisa Hunt (U.S. Games Systems, Inc.) The layout is in the shape of a pentacle.


I stand in darkness at the entrance to the graveyard on All Hallow’s Eve, on Samhain, when spirits walk the world…


(1) This Spirit dances around and around
THREE OF WANDS (Fair Brow)

In the Italian fairy tale “Fair Brow,” a young man paid the debts of a dead man to assure a proper burial. The message in this story, as described by Lisa Hunt, is the importance of communication and cooperation with others, which could lead to new enterprises. It is this spirit of communication and cooperation with others that dances around and around me on this Samhain.


(2) This Spirit brings a hidden memory: 
THE HIGH PRIESTESS (Enchantress-Sibyl)

The Sibyl “interweaves the energies of past lives and future events.” She encourages me to listen to my inner voice and intuition, to access my inner wisdom through a hidden memory as I prepare to continue along my path.



(3) This Spirit carries a light in the distance
EIGHT OF CUPS (Der Schimmelreiter)

There is a sense here that I may be refusing to accept the inevitability of something, refusing to move on, lingering where there is no reason or purpose to doing so. This Spirit carries a light in the distance that I may turn and focus on that light and move towards it.

 



(4) This Spirit waits for me on the bridge
THE HERMIT (Dryads)

As described by Lisa Hunt, the dryads “are one with the trees and elements. They participate in the mysteries of the forest and feel connected to the organic matter that is swirling with magical energy.” This is the Spirit that waits for me on the bridge – a Spirit that beckons to me to enter the forest and spend some time in seclusion, where I can release the clutter and debris my mind has accumulated, so that I may acquire new clarity and vision.



(5) This Spirit passes by the bridge and me
SEVEN OF PENTACLES (Canterville Ghost)

In spite of his efforts to frighten away a family at Canterville Chase, the Canterville Ghost was unable to scare them away. The only famly member to take him seriously was 15-year-old Virginia.  It was Virginia who eventually helped the ghost find salvation and peace. This Spirit passes by the bridge and me, moving on at last to a better place. The traditional 7 of Pentacles card often refers to pausing to assess and evaluate everything we have accomplished, and perhaps to decide that we have done our best and accomplished all that we can. 


I do love that The Hermit and The High Priestess, two of my favorite Major Arcana cards, both make an appearance in this Samhain Spirits reading. The cards (and Spirits) have given me much to contemplate. 

Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna