Order a Reading from Me

Order a Reading from Me
Please send relevant information to zannastarr@gmail.com.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Oracle Card ~ The Runic Tarot



For this oracle card exploration I am using The Runic Tarot by Caroline Smith and John Astrop. Although the name of the deck includes the word "Tarot," I feel it is quite a departure from what I consider to be traditional Tarot, and I prefer to group it with my Oracle decks.

The deck combines runes with "the four suits of the Celtic seasons." The runes are divided into three sets of eight, called the aetts (families). Together, these twenty-four runes are called the Futhark (a word taken from the initial letter of the first few runes in the sequence: Feoh, Ur, Thorn, Os, Rad, and Ken). The runes are used only on the Major Arcana cards.

I don't claim to have achieved any level of expertise with these cards. I continue to explore them, seeking greater understanding.

As this is the first week in July, I decided to feature the appropriate card: Card 9 from the suit of Beltane.


Season: SUMMER
Keyword: CELEBRATION
Element: WATER
Month: JULY
Week: 1ST
Astrology: Cancer/Sagittarius
(Cancer is the zodiac sign associated with the first week in July.
Sagittarius is the 9th sign of the zodiac.)

On the card, we see a trio of musicians and entertainers accompanied by a child. Their mood is festive and carefree.

Family and social occasions are highlighted by this card. Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter, known in astrology as a planet of generosity, expansion, and excess, so when this card appears we may need to beware of the sort of extreme celebration that could later be regretted.

Sagittarius is also the sign of long-distance travel, which gives us the sense that we may be reunited with those living far away, particularly family members, as Cancer rules home and family. With Sagittarius being the sign of higher education, this card may signal an achievement and celebration in that arena.

Cancer and its ruler, the Moon, are associated with females, so this card might suggest an emphasis on someone of that gender.

The people on the card are barefoot. Bare feet can symbolize poverty or humility. To dream you are barefoot may suggest a playful attitude and relaxed, carefree frame of mind. That seems to suit the image on this card quite well.

In addition to my 60 Tarot decks, I own a great many oracle decks. I love these decks, but don't use them as often as I would like. Every now and then, I am going to share a card from one of these oracle decks here on the blog. I hope people will enjoy seeing cards from various decks and will gain something from the interpretations of the cards!

Zanna Starr

9 comments:

  1. Definitely enjoyed your introduction of this deck and the card, Helen. Looks like it could be a good one for timing events. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Idun! I'm the "oracle lady" (at least for the time being). I just added my name to the bottom of the post so maybe it will be clearer to people.

    I do like the complexity of this deck and you're right: It would be good for timing events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the runic symbol the one in the left hand corner along with the Cancer sign? If it is it looks like it's Nauthiz - not that I know much if anything at all about runes or their symbols. This would then confirm the need for restraint, as I believe Nauthiz is about working with one's shadow and recognise those aspects of constraint which affect life. Or how you may indeed need to restrain yourself.

    Intersting oracle deck. - Makes me want to look more closely at runes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen! This is a minor arcana card and they don't have runes on them. The symbol next to the sign for Cancer is the sign for Sagittarius. Only the major arcana cards have runes on them.

    I'll post a major arcana card sometime so you can see how they are designed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gone red in the face now, see I did say I know squat about runes and their symbols, I did say that didn't I....LOL :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many symbols. . . so little time. . . LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the artwork for this deck and would get it for just that reason. The Elemental Tarot is already in my collection; might as well get it a friend even if that means a whole new system for me to research and get fixated on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. submarina - LOL - I've used that sort of reasoning in the past to convince myself to get a new deck. It works quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There. Loved your comment July 3 2010. Have you done any more writing since then? I am researching this deck (while waiting to get a copy - which has already been years). Spent ages on the Internet even searching under the French title - Le Tarot Runeque a Caroline Smith. I am really delighted once I find a new card with information (like yours). I also discovered that years ago a small size version of just the first Major Arcana 24 went out with a magazine called "Know your Destiny". I have all their other decks and enjoy working deeper with them too. Best wishes and thanks for your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from my readers!
~ Zanna